Church History

First Presbyterian Church Quincy has been proclaiming God's love in the heart of Quincy for almost 150 years.

First Presbyterian’s story began in 1884 with 75 members. In 1887, after renting several properties in Quincy, land was purchased on Water and Quincy Streets. This structure, remodeled twice, served the congregation for over 70 years.

By 1934, the church’s enrollment had grown to nearly 600. Many newcomers from Scotland and the Canadian Maritimes were drawn by job opportunities in Quincy’s booming shipbuilding and granite industries.

While we still have descendants of charter members worshipping with us today, we also feel fortunate to have been enriched by the other nationalities including Albanian, Brazilian, Cameroonian, Canadian, French, Japanese, Korean, Lebanese, Liberian, Malawian, Nigerian, and Trinidadian. The church moved to our current location on Franklin Street in 1962.